Monday, October 13, 2014

My First Show With Spindles

The NH Wool Arts Tour was a very successful event for me and my spindles. The crowd is a lot smaller than it was several years ago. There was competition in the area for outdoor events and the advertising was not very noticeable. This year there was a steady stream of visitors, but usually one or two at a time, not a crowd. My spindles and bowls were admired and purchased. The comments and observations by customers was very helpful in giving me ideas for fine tuning my presentation. The product doesn't need tweaking as much as making sure there is plenty of information and demonstration. People mistake the support spindles for drop spindles and make an assumption that they are difficult to use. I found that by continually demonstrating as I talked to people they caught on to how easy, comfortable and convenient it is to spin on a support spindle. I also think the rare breed roving could be narrowed down to only the oldest and rarest, a wide range is not necessary. Customers were pleased to be able to access something unexpected, unusual, and with a long fiber history.
I was quite impressed with the number of individuals who came through who own a few sheep. It is very encouraging to meet so many who love sheep and wool and are dedicated to keeping small flocks for fiber.
My new design for spinning bowls, perhaps dishes would be a more appropriate term, works very well. They sit very comfortably on the thigh above the knee, while the spinner is seated. I find this design even more relaxing than the bowls because you don't need to keep your legs together or at the same level. 


No comments:

Post a Comment