Thursday, March 3, 2016

New Spindle

Out of the last kiln batch the most successful whorls were of the medieval type. The glaze colors are rustic and the feel is satiny, not glossy. They are held by friction to a shaft that has a belly, which prevents the cop from sliding on the shaft. To be on the safe side I use a tiny, clear hair elastic to make sure the whorl doesn't come off the shaft. I had linen / wool roving on hand that I had tried unsuccessfully to spin in the past.  Even after adjusting a wheel for minimal draw in and high twist, it was very frustrating, it just wouldn't hold together. The medieval support spindle is providing high twist and no weight on the yarn. It is working beautifully. The wool is merino and a little slippery, so I am spinning it from the fold. The result is a soft, but strong, lustrous yarn. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurel, My sister (your co-worker Jeanne) turned me on to your website. It is so wonderful I am so inspired by your travels and projects. I would love to go to Scotland and see those breeds up close. Have you read In the Footsteps of Sheep? Wonderful book. Thanks! Jen C

    ReplyDelete