Monday, May 16, 2016

2016 NH Sheep and Wool Festival

This year's festival was again held at Deerfield Fairgrounds, Deerfield, NH. Saturday the weather was warm and wonderful, Sunday it was cloudy, chilly, and breezy. I always think of this festival as one for spinners and knitters. There are many wonderful raw fleeces and rovings to choose from and tools aplenty to work the wool.

I did a one hour lecture / workshop each day. Initially I was asked to do a lecture on spinning primitive breed sheep's wool. In planning it, it was immediately apparent to me that this was not only about the history of these sheep, but about the colors, textures and charcteristics of each breed's fleece. I morphed it into a hands-on experience so that those who attended had an opportunity to feel and spin some of these beautiful fibers.

It was well attended and received with enthusiasm. I requested more time for the workshop if I do it next year. People had wonderful and thoughtful questions. When speaking to an experienced, knowledgeable, and enthusiatic group it quickly became a conversation / discussion rather than a lecture. I hope the participants enjoyed it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment