Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Watercolor Travel Kits 4




This is the largest and most elaborate of the boxes I've made so far. It measures 6 X 12 X 1.5 inches when closed. It comes unpainted with the handle, latches and sturdy hinges already on it. I purchased it from an online art supply company. It is referred to as an artist's tool box. It cost about $12. Again I used the basswood for dividers in addition to plastic half and whole pans for the paint. A 5X 7 watercolor block fits inside. The interior is painted with gloss white acrylic. I used the "Liquid Fusion" glue again. The water dish is a baby food container. It has a tightly fitting lid and holds the smaller items quite neatly while traveling. The big difference between this box and the previous ones is that it attaches to my tripods. I purchased a threaded socket from a local hardware store, the old-fashioned kind of store where they have thousands of little bins and little brown envelopes to contain just the number of things you need, not prepackaged bags of no less than a dozen. I reinforced the bottom by glueing a small block of wood to the inside. When that had set I drilled a 1/4 inch hole, pounded the socket into the hole from the outside, as far as it would go.
Quick release mounts for tripods are all very different, however, the screw on them that attaches it to the camera is 1/4 inch diameter. So, once you have the socket in place on the palette box, it can accept any tripod quick release mount and fit onto the mount's matching tripod. I have a table height tripod and a heavier, full height, tripod. This box accepts either mount so I can paint plein air standing up or sitting down. When traveling, a light source isn't always near a comfortable table, this solves the problem. The table height tripod is small and light weight as well, making it a great travel companion.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurel, I am totally impressed with your little paint boxes. You are so creative and such a perfectionist. I am going to talk up your blog to everyone I email and blog to. Your blog is unique and should be seen by many artists. Does that sound good to you? Jeanne

    ReplyDelete